Lions Club International is the world's largest service club organization.
It has a membership of 1.4 million men and women in approximately 45,000 clubs located in 200 countries and geographical areas. Lions are recognized worldwide for their service to the blind and visually impaired. Melvin Jones, owner of the Melvin Jones Insurance Agency of Chicago, was invited to lunch with the Business Circle of Chicago in the early 1900's. He became a member, and was elected secretary in 1915. Soon he was wondering how the strength of this business organization could be directed towards unselfish service in the community. He began in 1916 to write to other clubs on the question of forming a national association for community service.
On June 7, 1917, at the invitation of Melvin Jones, representatives of 27 clubs met in Chicago. At this meeting the nucleusof our Lions organization was born. Lions Clubs became International on March 12, 1920, when the border city of Windsor became a chartered member. Click here for more history on Lions International.
This was followed by Hamilton and Toronto in 1920, London in 1921 and Goderich in 1922. The Goderich Lions Club was sponsored by the Windsor Lions Club, and received its Charter on August 22, 1922 with 27 charter members. Goderich Lions Club was the 4th club in Canada to receive its charter.
The first luncheon of the Goderich Lions Club was held on September 21, 1922. The first elected officers were:
President: R. C. Hays, 1st Vice President: Cpt. E. Hill, 2nd Vice President: H. C. Dunlop, 1st Vice President: H. J. MacEwan, Secretary: T. H. Mitchell, Treasurer: A. J. MacKay, Lion Tamer: L. Parsons, Tail Twister: W. Walker, Directors: J. W. Fraser, C. V. Cartwright, D. E. Holmes, Dr. Gallow, George MacEwan, A. McQuarrie, L. L. Knox
Today the Goderich Lions Club has an active membership of 76.